Thursday, August 02, 2007

Micro Deletions

I had been taking Peanut to a Dr whose entire approach to medicine could be summed up by the words "Wait and See". I can't really argue with that, but I find myself doing all the worrying that I don't see the Dr doing, and I turn into a nutty mom who worries about every little sneeze and twitch. We switched to a Dr who takes Everything Very Seriously, which means I don't have to, which means I become the kind of mom who forgets to take her kiddo in for a weigh check(she feels HEAVY to me), blows off missed milestones (She'll get around to it soon), and almost cancels the geneticist appointment that was scheduled, oh, four months ago.

It is such a pain in the ass to go to the city where the geneticist is. It's a two hour drive. Not a big deal for you and I, but add a baby to the mix and suddenly you're figuring out how to work the baby's daily bottles, naps, messy meals and poos in to a day trip on one of the hottest days of the year. Just planning and packing for the day could wear you out. Just to add to the fun, though, take this trip in a compact car with the whole family and no air conditioning. If you've an imagination (or children of your own) you can see why I was second guessing the need to do this.

I was convinced the Dr would look at Peanut and laugh. "Why have you brought this child here? Everything can be explained by low birthweight! Silly anxious mother! Ha! You have wasted a day of your life for nothing! Enjoy your trip back home!"

Instead we had a two hour appointment (albeit, with a fair amount of waiting involved) where they asked about Simon and my medical histories, peeked in her mouth, measured her birthmarks and said there are several syndromes we need to rule out.

Frankly I was shocked as shit.

He had a personal favorite. We took her down and had blood drawn to test for that. The other one (or more?) we'll rule out as need be. I have not Googled a thing yet, because I don't think it wise to work myself up over something she may not have. Also, a new label isn't going to change who she is.

Of course, not Googling is hard. Maybe I'll Google just a little.

No, I'd work myself up over nothing.

But it would be nice to know what we're talking about.

The Dr said not to Google. He said you only hear the bad stories.

How bad are they?


Fighting the urge,
ephelba

No comments: