Saturday, January 20, 2007

Comments I haven't left on other people's blogs...

Alot of the bloggers I read are pregnant right now. They like to kvetch about people asking questions about their pregnancy, about the baby's sex, names, about how people like to fondle the Belly. They are mightily offended.
I haven't commented because everyone needs a place to vent, but I'm baffled by their offense. If you came into work with your arm in a cast, wouldn't you expect people to ask "What happened?". You would, because your injury would be very visible, and presumably your coworkers care about you, at least a little. And having brought the subject up, they would ask questions about how long you were going to have to wear it, etc, because that's what people do. It shows they care. You will, of course, get tired of answering the same questions, but you wouldn't say "It's none of your damn business!". In fact, if you came in and no one mentioned it or asked for details when you pointed it out you'd probably feel hurt.
Are people supposed to notice your pregnancy and not say anything? What is left to discuss if they can't ask about due dates or the baby's gender or even names? "I see you're pregnant! Good luck with that." Or maybe "You'll get over it."
And as for the whole touching the belly thing, I never had anyone rub my belly without asking first. I understand that other people have much higher, thicker and generally more substantial boundaries than I do, so I wouldn't bother to consider rubbing someone else's belly, but I completely understood when people asked me. Pregnancy is awe inspiring. There's a baby in there, and the fact that you can feel the little life riding around in there just blows your mind.

Then I saw a post where someone used their cell and took a picture of a lady who, well, let's just say when she got dressed that morning she chose poorly. And yet, the blogger said she had looked in a store window and admired the view, apparently reassured by her too small jeans and tacky clothing.
Have you ever heard someone with a tin ear try to sing? It's incredible. If I hadn't heard it myself, I wouldn't have believed it possible. The person I heard could carry a tune just fine, but hadn't even the barest notion that she was carrying it in a completely different (and unharmonious) key as the accompaniment. She couldn't tell. It was like being color blind. I think some people have this trouble with clothing. They see an item of clothing on someone and they like the style, so they assume that it will look good on them. Even when they look in the mirror and see evidence to the contrary, all they recognize is that, "Yep, those are those awesome jeans that I like". Not "I should have chosen jeans that come up past my ass crack, or at least my underwear." Bless her heart.

Then tonight we heard about a lady who died from water intoxication after trying to win a contest at a radio station, and I just couldn't fucking believe it. Even though a woman called into the station and told the DJs this could happen, they laughed and said the contestants signed waivers. Nice. And when the lady began to show symptoms did they say, gee, maybe you should call a Dr? No, they said it was her body telling her she needed to barf. She called in sick to work, laid down and died. I just can not get over it. Firstly that this many people haven't heard of water intoxication. Secondly, that the ones who had heard of it didn't insist that the contest was a really, really bad idea. Lastly, that NO ONE THOUGHT TO CALL A DR AT ANY POINT! It just makes me sick. People die every day from war, famine and plague, but somehow death by ignorance and stupidity bothers me more.

On another note, spent a lot of time reading about Peanut's little chin (micrognathia). Turns out she has several symptoms of a kind of dwarfism. Well, except, as Simon so helpfully pointed out, she's not a dwarf. Phew. One less thing to worry about.

There are many scary things that a little chin portends. We have lucked out, in that none of them are things she'll have to face, but I begin to understand why it was such a big deal when she was born. All I really wanted to know was whether I should be doing something about the little chin right now. I think the answer is probably not, but for once I have done the research before I take her in for her checkup, like a good responsible Mommy.

Going to bed, like a good responsible Mommy should,
ephelba

No comments: