Friday, September 01, 2006

Finally

I've been trying to post for two days now, and life just keeps getting in the way. But the good news is:
*My house is cleaner than it's been since we moved in. Yay me!
*Every night the dishes and bottles have been washed before 10 pm. Which is awesome. Last night it was 8:00 and the baby was asleep and the dishes were washed and there was nothing pressing to do, so I sat on the floor with Simon and played Pente for a while guilt free. It felt decadent.
*I think I have a good start on Boy's schooling. Enough for the first day, at least. Hopefully the first week. I've found some textbooks online for History and Spanish. The internet Rocks. Hard. So does the library.
*Under the heading TMI, Simon and I have been very good about using birth control, so there shouldn't be another big scare for at least one more month.
*I'm trying to get a couple of moms together who are into secular homeschooling. I've found a Yahoo Group of local homeschoolers, but it's dominated by the Christiany types. That's fine and all, but for social pursuits I'd like a network of more likeminded people.

Yesterday we went to the farmer's market, where we ran into no fewer than 5 other people from the Hippy Mom's Club. We all stood in a circle gabbing. By "We" I mean everyone else. I simply didn't have anything to say, since my children weren't in the library's spanish program, I don't know how to tie a maitai, and Simon isn't a professor. I didn't feel left out exactly, just quiet. I like all those women very much. I wonder how I looked to them. If I seemed strangely quiet. Was my hair messy? Back in Ann Arbor and Ypsi I felt like this sometimes, but usually I felt more like I had my feet under me. Even if I was meeting new people I was more self assured than I am here. Maybe moving cuts the rug out from under you. I don't have any history here. I don't do anything here. I don't know anyone or any place. It's dizzying.

Sometimes I think we should settle here. There's good land for growing things. It's cheap, too. Surely time will warm me up to this place. Other times I think my heart is tied to Ann Arbor, and no amount of time will change that.

Going to bed now.
Go play Pente...
ephelba

No comments: